Age And Operator Restrictions
Persons under 12 years of age:
- May not legally operate a PWC or any vessel 16 feet in length or longer.
- May legally operate a boat less than 16 feet in length and powered by a motor of 30 horsepower or less only if they are accompanied by a competent adult.
Persons 12 to 15 years of age:
- May notlegally operate any vessel 16 feet in length or longer.
- May legally operate a PWC or vessel less than 16 feet in length if they:
- Have passed a boating education course approved by the DNR or
- Are accompanied by a competent adult.
Persons 16 years of age or older may legally operate any boat or PWC on Georgia state waters if they have a proper identification card, such as a driver’s license or any other government-issued identification that contains a description of the person, a photograph, and the date of birth, on board.
Florida Boat Insurance Deductibles
Every policy has a physical damage deductible, which may be a percentage of your boat’s value or a certain dollar value, such as $500. There may also be a separate deductible depending the type of boat you have. Sailboat insurance, for example, often has a separate deductible for the boat’s mast.
As a boat owner in Florida, you’ll also want to note if your boat insurance policy contains a hurricane or named-storm deductible. Due to Florida’s hurricane and tropical storm risk, insurers often include a second named-storm deductible, which can be as high as 10% of your boat’s value.
Whats Covered Under Boat Insurance In Georgia
There are several different things covered under boat insurance in Georgia. Check with your agent at Ransom & Associates Insurance Agency in Winder, GA for whatâs covered under your specific policy.
- Physical Damage: This portion will insure your boat against loss and damage caused by common risks, such as collision, theft, and storms. Policies usually cover the hull and other components, such as extra fuel tanks, anchors, motors, and onboard safety equipment. A boat trailer may or not be covered. Your boat can either be insured with actual cash value or replacement cost coverage. A replacement cost policy compensates you for the cost of replacing the boat with a similar model or restoring it to the original condition. An actual cash value policy gives you the current market value of a replacement.
- Liability Coverage: This coverage applies if you cause injury to others or damage other docks, structures, or boats. The damage or injury can be due to direct contact with your boat or situations caused by your boat. This coverage will usually protect you from covered lawsuits and claims, including legal fees and settlements. Speak with your agent about possible risks so that you get the right coverage.
You can also get additional coverage in your policy for items such as sewage clean up or medical payments for guests.
Contact Ransom & Associates Insurance Agency, serving Winder, GA, to get a boat insurance quote.
Don’t Miss: Is Banana Boat Sunscreen Good
Boats That Can Be Covered By Insurance In Alabama
Insurance providers know that there are tons of different boats. This is why they have specified which types of boats they can cover with their policies. This applies to most, if not all, insurance providers in Alabama. The type of boats are:
- Charter Boat
- Swamp Boats
Though these boats may be covered by insurance since they pose different risks, the type of coverage will vary depending on your type of boat.
Getting A Boat License In Georgia
Georgia boat operators can sign up for a boater safety course online or in-person by checking out the DNRs list of approved programs currently accepting students. The state has approved several classroom-based and online boating course options to provide GA residents with multiple options to meet the state requirement. Both types of courses must be signed up for online. The driver will be required to provide some form of ID, preferably by providing a GADNR Customer ID Number from other services rendered through the DNR.
A spot in classroom-based boating classes can be reserved by creating a profile and signing up at GoOutdoorsGeorgia.com. How long does it take to get a boating license in Georgia? Most in-person courses are completed in a single day. Online courses, which are signed up for by visiting the course providers individual website, can be completed at the desired pace of the student. After completing the course, drivers are usually eligible to get out on the water immediately with proof of having passed the course.
Also Check: Do You Need Boat Insurance In Nebraska
What Are The Risks Of Driving A Boat
Although boating may be a very low-stress activity, there are tons of high-risk situations that you can be exposed to. While some of these instances may be preventable, youre mostly subject to Mother Nature on the water. And nature is nowhere near predictable. So, its important to consider the type of protection youll need in the aftermath of a particularly harmful event before it happens.
Boat Insurance Requirements By State
Generally speaking, you won’t be required by your state to purchase boat insurance. In fact, only a handful of states require boaters to purchase insurance, and the requirement is often limited to boats with engines rated to have at least 50 horsepower. The table below lists the insurance requirements for each state.
|Arkansas||Liability insurance with at least $50,000 in coverage is required for all boats powered by engines of more than 50 horsepower.|
|Hawaii||Only for boats parked in Department of Land and Natural Resources Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation facilities. Liability insurance with at least $500,000 in coverage is required for all boats parked in DOBOR facilities, including harbors and offshore moorings. The insurance policy must name the State of Hawaii, DOBOR as the “additional insured” or “additional interest”. The policy should cover salvage costs for grounded or sunken vessels, damage to docks, pollution containment and wreck removals.|
Georgia’s Laws About Alcohol And Boating:
The Georgia Boat Safety Act prohibits anyone from boating under the influence . Specifically, the laws state that it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to operate a boat or PWC if their blood alcohol content is 0.02 or more. For people 21 and older, they may not operate a boat or PWC if their blood alcohol level is 0.08 or more or if drugs are detected. If the operator is under the influence, they will be charged with a BUI.
In addition, by operating a boat or PWC on Georgia waters, you have impliedly consented to be tested for drugs or alcohol if requested by a law enforcement officer. Refusing to comply with the tests could cost you losing your privilege to operate a boat or PWC for up to one year.
Do I Need Boat Insurance In Georgia
Boats in Georgia are not required to be insured, however it is recommended.
Boats in Georgia are required to correctly display their registration number and validations stickers.
Registration numbers and stickers must be displayed as follows:
- The numbers must be applied as a decal, painted or permanently affixed to each side of the boats bow .
- The numbers must be in bold block letters that are at least 3 inches high and in a color that contrasts with the color of the boat.
- The numbers must be separated from the letters by a hyphen or by an equivalent space.
- The number must be read from left to right.
- Validation decals must be affixed on both sides of the boat, before the prefix letters of the registration number.
- These requirements also apply to personal watercraft .
You May Like: Freedom Boat Club Charleston Cost
Adjust Your Boating Insurance Policy During The Off
Boating and watersports are activities for the summer. Thus, one would think that this type of insurance policy is only for the summer, right? But did it ever cross your mind that your boat is still at risk during the off-season? So, if you ever thought of canceling it, you should think twice!
If you want to save money on boat insurance during the off-season, you can adjust your liability limits by dropping other coverages like emergency labor and towing and uninsured boaters. Just always keep in mind that you have to re-adjust your policy before the next boating season.
If you want to know more about how you can save on our boat and watercraft insurance, our agents at Velox would be glad to help you. Visit the nearest office in your area or call 1-855-468-3569.
How Does Boat Insurance Work
Boat insurance works similarly to car insurance, but it covers the financial loss of large boats instead of automobiles. You generally pay a set monthly fee for coverage on your boat, and in exchange can place claims against financial loss or damage for things related to your boat. When the claim is received by the insurance provider, they will investigate to determine the fault of any accident, what the damage costs are, and how much should be covered. Once that is complete, the insurance carrier will send you a check for the amount of coverage you are entitled to for whatever claim you submitted.
You May Like: How Do I Register My Boat With The Coast Guard
Why Type Of Coverage Is Available
Collision – This coverage includes repair or replacement of your boat or watercraft in the event it is involved in an accident.
Comprehensive – Comprehensive coverage will protect your watercraft if it is stolen or damaged by vandalism or other acts that are not considered a collision.
Property Damage Liability – This type of liability insurance protects you if your watercraft is involved in damage to someoneâs property, dock, or their watercraft.
Bodily Injury – This form of liability coverage protects you and those who operate your watercraft in the event they become injured. The policy will cover medical expenses, lost wages, and legal expenses.
Coverages – There are additional coverage options that can be purchased, including policies to protect against uninsured or underinsured operators, personal property, fishing equipment onboard, or other services, such as roadside assistance and towing.
Boat Registration Fees In Georgia
The registration fees associated with registering your vessel with the GA DNR are as follows:
- Initial/renewal boat registration :
- 16 ft or under : $35.
- 16 ft to 26 ft : $70.
- 26 ft to 40 ft : $140.
- 40 ft or longer : $210.
- Completed Vessel Registration Application .
Don’t Miss: How Much Does Freedom Boat Club Cost Per Month
Georgia Boating Rules And Regulations
Boating rules in Georgia were created to keep boaters, swimmers and others enjoying the states waterways safe while also protecting the states natural environment. As such, GA boating regulations stipulate how to correctly operate water vessels and the type of safety and emergency equipment that all water vessels of certain classes must maintain at all times to be up to legal standards.
Other boating laws govern how water vessels should interact with other water vessels or respond to difficult navigational situations. A sampling of boat requirements that all drivers should be aware of when boating in Georgia include:
Types Of Boat & Watercraft Coverage
Below are some of the coverage options for your boat or personal watercraft. Your Velox Insurance agent will help you assess what type of coverage is best for your needs.
- Boat Liability Coverage Liability insurance provides coverage to pay for another individuals bodily injuries or damages to their boat or watercraft that you are legally responsible for.
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Coverage This type of insurance provides coverage for damages to your vehicle or any vehicle in your custody resulting from incidents other than a collision, such as theft, fire, vandalism, flooding, hail, or other perils. It is usually required if you have a vehicle loan.
- Medical Payments Coverage If you and your passengers are injured or killed in an accident, medical payments coverage will pay for your doctor, hospital, and funeral expenses regardless of who is at fault.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Watercraft Bodily Injury If your boat or watercraft is hit by another boat or watercraft that is uninsured or underinsured, this type of coverage pays for medical costs, lost wages, and other costs associated with the accident.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does Freedom Boat Club Cost Per Month
Additional Boat Insurance Coverages
Liability and property damage coverages are, of course, only the baseline types of coverage for a worst-case scenario. There are still other specific situations in which your vessel may need to be covered. So, talk to your agent about adding these types of boating-specific coverage:
- Reasonable repairs: You may be able to add coverage to help you with the costs of repairing the equipment on your ship before it becomes a bigger, more hazardous problem.
- Emergency service: If someone has provide emergency services for you out on the water, you might want to have emergency service coverage for your boat to help you handle the bill. Think of it like the roadside assistance coverage you can get for your car.
- Wreck Removal: Its not fun to think about, but if your boat is wrecked, normal boat coverage may not cover the costs it will take to clean up the boat. Thats why its important to talk to your agent about adding wreck removal coverage.
Sometimes, it can be difficult to properly insure your belongings if you dont know where to start. Hopefully, this guide can give you the building blocks to consider and properly cover the risks of owning and operating a boat.
Best For Additional Coverage Options: Foremost
- No. of Policy Types: 3
- Coverage Limit: Varies
Foremost offers various boat insurance packages with unique add-ons including trip interruption services.
Unique add ons like onboard pet coverage
Contact agent for specific coverage maximums
Website could give more details
Foremost is a part of the Farmers Insurance Group of companies. It is a specialty insurance company that has been in business since 1952, and it’s known for providing affordable coverage for boat insurance in all 50 U.S. states. Foremost offers some unique coverage options for an additional premium, including hurricane haul-out, enhanced towing services, fishing tournament fee reimbursement, additional pollution liability coverage, pet coverage and trip interruption service.
There are several discounts available through Foremost that are designed to save you money on your premium. This includes a lay-up discount, paid-in-full discount, boating safety course, protective device discount, multi-policy discount, multi-unit discount, loss-free renewal discount, prior insurance, insured age , and affinity and alliance discounts for boat operators who are a part of an approved affinity group or alliance organization. Coverage is also available for classic boats over 25 years old.
Read Also: How To Clean Mildew Off Boat Seats
What Does Boat Insurance Include
When you purchase boat insurance, standard insurance will typically cover the following:
- Bodily injury: If someone gets injured while on your boat, this will help cover legal and medical bills associated with the accident.
- Property damage: This coverage will protect you if you are at fault in an accident that caused damage to another boat or property.
- Collision: If youre in an accident, this will pay for the cost of repairing or replacing your boat. This coverage is usually optional however, a lender may require you to purchase it if youre leasing.
- Comprehensive: This coverage will pay for repair costs if your boat gets damaged from something other than a collision this includes floods, storms, fire, theft, and vandalism.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists: If an uninsured or underinsured motorist causes damage to you or your boat, this coverage will help protect you.
- Medical payment coverage: If youre involved in an accident, this coverage will pay for the medical costs regardless of who is at fault. Some policies will even cover funeral expenses.
There are also additional options you can add to your coverage, such as:
Keep in mind your insurance should cover all operators.
Talk to your insurance provider and make sure you have all the appropriate options added to your plan for your specific situation and climate.
What Is Boat Insurance
If youre ready to live a sea- faring dream, you might be interested in boat insurance. Buying a boat can be a huge investment thats largely rewarding all around. However, owning a boat requires a lot of upkeep, an up-to-date knowledge of your local boating laws, and the ability to protect yourself and your vessel if worst comes to worst. So, heres a guide to getting the best boating insurance to stay safe off the shore.
Read Also: Does Minnesota Require Boat Insurance
Common Faqs On Obtaining A Georgia Boater Education Card The Boat Ed Safety Exam And Boat Ed Safety And License Education
The georgia department of natural resources allows you to register your vessel online, by mail, or over the phone. Or, registration card of the previous vessel owner or letter from previous state marine toilet decal: Boat trailers are registered in georgia but not titled. 1986 and newer year model motor vehicles, motorcycles, campers, travel trailers, and car/tow dollies weighing 2 for more information about titles and tags in georgia, contact: Flat bottom boats titles criteria will vary from state to state.
Georgia Boating Licence Requirements
WHAT IS A GEORGIA BOATING SAFETY CERTIFICATE
A Georgia Boating Safety Certificate proves that youve obtained the knowledge needed to safely operate a motorized boat on Georgias waterways. As of July 1, 2014, all operators who were born after January 1st, 1988 are required to complete an approved boater education course to legally operate a motorized boat in Georgia.
WHERE CAN I GET MY GEORGIA BOATING LICENSE?
You can get your Georgia Boating Safety Certificate by completing the Official BOATsmart! Course online. Once you successfully complete the online study guide and final exam, you can print a temporary card immediately. BOATsmart! will mail your permanent card within 4 weeks.
HOW OLD DO I HAVE TO BE TO GET A BOATER CARD IN GEORGIA?
There is no minimum age to complete the Georgia Boater Education course and get certified.
AGE AND HORSEPOWER RESTRICTIONS
Children under 12 years of age may not operate any boat that is over 16 feet in length. Additionally they may not operate any vessel that is powered by an engine or more than 30 hp. However, they may operate non-motorized boats, or boats with a motor of less than 30 hp, so long as the boat is less than 16 feet in length, and they are accompanied on board by an adult.
Boat operators who are 16 years of age or older may operate any boat in the state of Georgia, as long as they have proper identification on board the boat, and have passed an approved Boater Education Course.
DO I NEED A LICENSE TO RENT A BOAT IN GEORGIA?
Recommended Reading: Lightstream Boat Loans