What You Need To Know To Replace A Bimini Top
So maybe you’re on the market for a bimini top to replace the one you already have. Again, these things don’t last forever, and you will have to switch up your older bimini shade top after a few years of use. If you liked your previous bimini top’s performance and you want to get the same thing, you can order a replacement from your dealership instead of scouring the market to find a different model.
If you decide to go with a dealership replacement bimini top cover, here are are a few tips to make the process easier:
Best Of The Bunch Online Pontoon Bimini Top
Utilizing my lifetime of fabrication experience, I’ve looked around to find a bimini top for pontoon boats that you can buy and install yourself that has all the right stuff.
So whats the right stuff for a pontoon bimini top in a box?
You just can’t beat these features in pre-manufactured bimini tops for pontoon boats:
- 1.25″ Aluminum frame with a 3 year warranty
- All aluminum heavy duty hardware
- Sunbrella fabric for the bimini top with a 6 year warranty
- Solarfix lifetime thread
- Zippered pockets
- Matching Sunbrella storage top with light cutout
- Adjustable rear support arms with storage clips
- Front straps
For other sizes, search for pontoon bimini tops offered by Restore Pontoon
Best Pontoon Bimini Tops: 5 Heavy Duty Tops In 2022
Cool winds and calm waves can be relaxing. But toss in some harsh sun and you’ve got the recipe for a serious sunburn. Scorching heat can easily sap the fun and enjoyment out of any boat trip. And because most pontoon boats come out of the dealership without any sort of sunshade, you might want to check the market for the best pontoon bimini tops.
Offering shade and cover + without weighing down your boat too much, a bimini is pretty much an essential for any pontoon boat owner looking to make the ride a little more comfortable. But because these after-sales additions have become pretty popular, there are tons of options available that might make your search a little less than straightforward.
Don’t Miss: Volvo Penta 4 Cylinder Boat Engine
Replacement Fabric At Overton’s
Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever. We would change that, if we could, believe us. What we can do though is offer replacement fabric for those times when your Bimini top has aged out or simply given up. Whether you need pontoon Bimini top replacement fabric or youre in the market for 4 bow Bimini top replacement fabric or maybe even options for 2 bow Bimini top replacement fabric look no further. We have it all. By offering Bimini top replacement fabric only, you dont even have to uninstall the frame or mounting hardware. Youll be back on the water, under the shade, and enjoying the boating season in no time at all.
If you are looking for more from Bimini Tops, please check out our pages on: Standard Bimini Tops, Replacement Frames for Bimini Tops, and Bimini Top Hardware & Accessories.
Enjoy free shipping on all orders over $99 or, for Good Sam members, orders over $69! Not a Good Sam member yet?
Bimini Top Cloth Types:
- Solution dyed polyester fabric is the best type of material for marine applications. The yarn is dyed before it is made into solution dyed fabric, which means the color is more vibrant and resists fading much better than fabric that is dyed after being woven.
- Some other companies may use cotton for their tops or even standard sewing thread, and this is something customers need to avoid if they are interested in buying a top that will last longer than six months.
- Our bimini tops come with zippered sleeves that make it easier to install onto the frame, which is important when replacing the canvas of an existing frame.
- Coated and sealed polyester is strong against UV rays, which allows it to retain shape and resist stretching. It is the best type of material according to the Boat Owners Association of the United States. It is thick enough to keep water out, but it lets water vapor through in order to provent mold or mild dew from building up.
- Sunbrella marine fabric is featured on our Elite series. It is the most recognized outdoor fabric brand on the market available for both pontoons and boat biminis.
Also Check: Key West Private Boat Tours
Bimini Top Replacement Canvas
Please refer to the replacement canvas measurement guide below to confirm the style and sizing for your bimini top based on the 3 bow or 4 bow design you may need.
*NOTE: Replacement canvas is specially designed to fit Summerset and National Bimini Top brand frames and may not fit on frames made by other manufacturers.
Keep Your Boat Looking Great
Maybe youre getting ready to pull your pontoon out of the water for the season and want to have it all ready to go for next year. Or maybe youre one of the lucky ones whos still out there fishing and relaxing on the water. Regardless, if you need to replace your Biminis fabric, youve come to the right place! Whatever the case may be, Boat Covers Direct can help by providing you with a replacement canvas.
Most of the time when a Bimini needs replacing, the frame is in good shape but the canvas has become worn, faded, or dirty. The sun and wind can really do a number on them! When your boat looks great, you want your Bimini to look just as good, so replacing the canvas is an easy and economical solution.
You May Like: What Size Battery Does My Boat Need
Dual Pontoon Bimini Tops Benefits:
- Twice the shade–double the fun!
- Dual pontoon bimini tops provide full coverage and protection from sun and rain to increase the life span of your boat.
- Have a party on the water while keeping your passengers protected from the elements!
- Rear support poles stabilize the frame against the wind, but keep the top folded back when picking up speed to avoid damaging the bimini top.
- Available in 12 vibrant colors to choose from! Colorfast bimini canvas is solution dyed so the color will never bleed or fade away.
- Be sure to measure your boat before purchasing a bimini top to ensure that we can provide the perfect cover to meet your needs.
- We offer the option of two top quality brands, Summerset and Summerset ELITE, featuring Sunbrella fabric.
- Purchase a dual pontoon bimini top today–to protect your investment tomorrow!
Pontoon Bimini Tops Benefits:
- Instant shade to protect friends and family. No need to worry about sunstroke, allowing you to stay out on the water all day long!
- Protects your boat and equipment from sun damage, increasing the life of your pontoon and improving resale value.
- Bimini Tops allow boaters to enjoy a day out on the water without being in direct sunlight. It is also a quick solution for unexpected rainfall.
- Rear support poles keep the frame sturdy against wind. Make sure that the top is folded back when picking up speed to avoid damaging the bimini top.
- Bimini tops are often preferred over full enclosures because they provide protection without enclosing the entire pontoon and obstructing the passenger’s view. Bimini tops can also be folded back out of the way for full sun exposure.
- Be sure that you measure your pontoon before purchasing a bimini top to ensure that we can provide the perfect pontoon cover for you.
Read Also: What Size Cranking Battery For Bass Boat
Bimini Tops For Pontoon Boats Onlinehow Do You Choose
- Highlights On Bimini Tops For Pontoon Boats:
- Repair or Replace my Bimini Top
- Differences: Custom & Retail Bimini Tops
- Best Online Bimini Top for Pontoon Boats
- Pontoon Bimini Add-ons: Canopy & Enclosure
- Buy Your DIY Bimini Top Repair Materials Here
- Got Questions? Ask Your Question Here!
We get frequent phone calls about bimini tops for pontoon boats.
We have listed some questions and answers below to help you evaluate your options.
Serenelife 3 Bow Bimini Top Canvas
Just like most other picks on this list, the SereneLife 3 Bow Bimini Top uses heavy duty 8 l 600 D polyster for added durability and strength. But to make the design even more reliable, it features double stitched seams that provide rugged performance in harsh weather conditions. Waterproof and completely UV resistant, the whole canvas provides lasting performance for both you and your boat.
Using a double walled aluminum 3 bow frame and rear support, this pick uses two rear support poles for added resilience when used in strong winds or high speeds. Plus, because the 3 bow cover comes as a complete set with straps, mounting hardware, a storage boot, and more, this choice eliminates the need to have to buy extra accessories just to get your bimini top up and ready.
Read Also: Where To Buy Boat Lettering
The 5 Best Bimini Tops For Pontoon Boats
If you’re new to the scene, then yes, it can be pretty overwhelming. With literally hundreds of choices at your disposal, it can be a struggle to pinpoint an option that’s truly a fit for your shade needs. And that’s why we’ve come up with a condensed list of the 5 best bimini boat tops for pontoons that money can buy.
Length Of The Bimini Canvas
For a more accurate list of options, it helps to also provide the dealership with the length of the bimini top canvas you presently have installed on your pontoon boat. Providing these measurements should help them offer you a set of options that are guaranteed to fit your pontoon boat the best way possible.
Keep in mind that if you decide to buy a replacement bimini top from outside of your dealership, then the measurements should still come in handy. In place of a length measurement, they might simply ask you whether you’re using a 3 bow or a 4 bow bimini top for your boat.
Although it’s not unheard of for a pontoon boat to tout a 3 bow bimini cover, most pontoon boats use the 4 bow because it provides more extensive coverage that comes in handy when you’ve got a large deck to cover.
Also Check: Where Can I Register My Boat In Idaho
What Is A Bimini Top And How Does It Work
The moniker is a reference to an island in the Bahamas of the same name. Some sources allege that the clever open-front boat canopy was first developed on the island, thus its name. It’s essentially a sunshade designed for boats. There are lots of different designs available on the market, but most designs use an aluminum frame and support poles to keep the structure in place over the cockpit.
For the most part, a bimini will require some installation and assembly out of the box. But because you can’t operate your pontoon boat with a cover expanded over the cockpit, most of the available designs effortlessly collapse into a nifty little size for easy storage.
How To Remove And Replace A Pontoon Boat Bimini Top Cover
If you’re mounting one for the first time, then the process of installation might not be as straightforward. Fortunately, it’s standard for these tops to come with extensive instructions for assembly and set-up.
For the most part, you can expect to follow these steps or a similar process:
Also Check: How To Clean Mold And Mildew From Vinyl Boat Seats
Replacement Bimini Top Canvas Fabrics
Solution dyed fabrics made of either polyester or acrylic are the best type of material for marine applications. The yarn is dyed before it is made into solution dyed fabric, which means the color is more vibrant and resists fading much better than fabric that is dyed after being woven. Cheaper boat top canvas is sometimes made of cotton fabric and sewn with standard sewing thread, and this is something customers need to avoid if they want the boat top to last longer than six months.
Our replacement canvas for 4 bow frames comes with zippered sleeves that make it easier to install onto the frame, which is important when replacing the canvas of an existing frame. Coated and sealed polyester is strong against UV rays, which allows it to retain shape and resist stretching. It is the best type of material according to the Boat Owners Association of the United States. Sunbrella marine fabric is featured on our Elite series. It is the most recognized outdoor fabric brand on the market available for both pontoons and boat biminis.
WE COVER IT ALL…Visit Our Other National Cover Stores
5928 Balfour Court | Carlsbad, CA 92008
Pontoon Bimini Top Add
Attaching a second pontoon top canopy to the main top . . .
You will need to have a zipper sewn in. Ideally, you would sew this zipper onto a lip. A lip is basically a flap that hangs down from the forward and aft edge of the pontoon bimini top.
Our shop doubles the material on this lip for extra strength. A zipper sewn onto double thickness fabric is better than a zipper sewn onto a single thickness of fabric. After all, there is a whole lot of stress on the area where the zippers are sewn.
Many online pontoon bimini tops don’t give you a lip at all. If this is the case, then you would need to have this modification completed.
Adding a pontoon enclosure to my online purchased pontoon bimini top . . .
Many of the pontoon tops you purchase online will have a hard time supporting an enclosure or pontoon top canopy extension. They are not built with this added stress in mind.
First, check your frame for strength. A weak or bent frame may be better off being replaced. Especially with plans to add more weight stress coupled with the wind factor.
If this is still your desire and your frame is worthy, then plan on modifications or consider a re-cover done by a local custom canvas shop. They will reinforce things properly and sew the zippers into the appropriate places.
Your best bet is to start with the right stuff so everything ages together!
Read Also: How Do You Get Rid Of An Old Boat
Pontoon Top In Standard Square Tube
Our square tube bimini top is offered in a height of 48″ or 54″, and is offered in lengths of 8, 9 or 10′. This bimini will mount between widths of 91-102″. All square tube bimini tops come with a free matching rear brace kit.
Square Tube Bimini Tops are designed and engineered in Landrum, SC by Carver Industries, and are constructed with these quality features:
- FREE matching rear brace kit
- FREE matching storage boot
- Canvas custom fitted to frame
- 1″ wide, black polypropylene, adjuster straps included to ensure a sleek looking canvas
- Warranty, based on material
- 9.25 oz. Sunbrella®/Outdura® Acrylic material – 10 Year Warranty
- 7.6 oz. Sun-DURA® – 7 Year Warranty
Naviskin Bimini Top Cover
Much like many other pontoon boat top bimini canopies on the market, the Naviskin features heavy duty 8 l 600D polyester construction with a polyurethane covering, reinforced straps, and a matching storage boot. The ultra durable material is certified marine grade, offering lasting performance in harsh conditions typically found out on the water. It’s available in both 3 bow and 4 bow bimini options.
Its lightweight double walled aluminum frame, rear support, and bow legs are anything but flimsy, despite being relatively featherlight. This allows the structure to hold up against strong winds without caving in to the pressure. The lightweight aluminum construction also means that the 3 bow or 4 bow bimini boat top won’t weight down on your pontoon. And because it comes with an impressive 1-year warranty, you can buy the cover with complete confidence.
Read Also: How Much Are Banana Boat Rides In Myrtle Beach
Benefits Of Having A Pontoon Boat Cover
You might be thinking that you’ve already got way too many accessories for your boat, but the bimini cover isn’t exactly what pontoon owners would call optional. This after-sales addition provides a load of benefits that can seriously improve your boating experience and even protect your boat from potential damage.
Pontoon Bimini Top Diy Repair Materials
Are you considering doing your own pontoon bimini top repair? Here are some of the items you may need to accomplish this! You should definitely visit our very informative boat cover repair page. You may also need our EZ-Xtend Boat Zippers to extend the life of your bimini tops for pontoon boats.
Relieve stress on zippers and add slack to shrunken pontoon canvas . . .
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Boat Wax