Boat Carpet Cleaning Tips
#1:Start with the basics. Using plain vinegar and water is an ageless trick. Mix around 40 ounces of white vinegar to 1 gallon of water. Spray on the soiled area and let it soak until the area is saturated. Using a medium bristle brush, scrub the area gently. Its important to thoroughly rinse the soiled spot and let it dry before using it again.
Boat Carpet cleaner
As an alternate use a commercial carpet product for cleaning your boat carpets. Its best to use a non-foamingproduct.
You can even use degreaser for those grease or oil stains as long as it does not have harsh solvents. Make sure to presoak and rinse the carpet thoroughly for the best results. Do not leave a residue as this traps dirt easier.
#3:Fishermen will find fish blood to be a difficult stain to remove. However, its simple use cold water and mild dish soap. Apply to the damaged area and let it soak in.
Do not use hot water because it will make the stain permanent. Blot with a towel or a clean sponge. Follow up with a soft-medium bristle brush and scrub after the first or second soaking. Again rinse the area thoroughly and repeat the process until clean.
Dry The Carpet Surface
First, brush the water off the carpet, again working toward the drain. Afterward, you can use a water vacuum to try to remove as much moisture from the carpet as possible. Take note that a regular vacuum cant handle water.
You can also use cloth instead of a vacuum to try to get as much moisture off the carpet as possible.
After removing all the moisture that you can, leave it to dry. On a nice and sunny day, it should dry in a few hours, so try to make sure that the weather is expected to be clear.
Benefits And Drawbacks Of Using Carpet Cleaners
Using a carpet cleaner can bring tons of benefits, including the following:
- Versatile: Most of the carpet cleaners deliver exceptional outcomes regardless of the material. From cleaning Bass boat carpet to those from other brands, carpet cleaners can deliver astounding results!
- Eliminates Odor: Many of the carpet cleaners have a dual-action formula. This means that apart from getting rid of stubborn dirt, you can also use it to remove unpleasant odor. The result is that the boats floor will be cleaner and fresher!
- Extends Lifespan: Boat carpets can be expensive. If you dont want to replace them often, keep them spotless with the right cleaner. Doing so will help preserve the structural integrity of the fibers and materials, and in turn, the carpet can withstand many years of use.
- Easy to Use: A lot of the products available will be effortless to use, especially those that you can spray directly on the surface. Even if theres a need for dilution, in most instances, they can clean carpets without the need to sweat.
However, using boat cleaners also has disadvantages, including these:
Also Check: How Much Is My Pontoon Boat Worth
Wash Off The Cleaning Agent
Rinse off the cleaning solution using your hose. It will be easier to wash everything off if you use stronger pressure, but dont use too much pressure if your carpet is made of very soft material or youll risk damaging it.
Also, make sure to wash the carpet thoroughly. If there is soap left, it will make it easier for dirt to get stuck in the carpet again. It also makes it difficult for the carpet to dry this applies to carpet cleaning products as well.
Aero Cosmetics Interior Cleaners
If you want something thats a little less abrasive, then the Aero Cosmetics Interior Cleaner can do the trick.
I admire how this cleaner is made to be very gentle and mild despite its effectiveness at removing stains. Aero Cosmetics Interior Cleaner is powerful in removing lotions, makeup marks, body oil, stains, and dirt. It can be applied to fabric, leather seats, carpets, and other interior surfaces.
Because of its versatility, its a great all-around cleaner for interiors, whether its a boat or something else. Whats more is it meets standards for aircraft interiors, therefore, solidifying its effectiveness as a cleaner.
Moreover, I like how its ready to use which means I no longer have to dilute it to use it for cleaning my carpet and other interior surfaces.
This is a spot-on solution which means that you simply spray it directly to areas you wish to clean. Then, gently rub the surface using a damp cloth until completely cleaned.
However, this solution isnt strong enough to remove unwanted odors from surfaces like carpets. This can be an issue as carpets, especially boat carpets, can emit unwanted odors and a carpet cleaner should be able to remove that.
- Does not remove odors
Regardless of the disadvantage mentioned above, odors can be removed with more thorough and rigorous cleaning. This can make the product still worth its price.
Read Also: Aaa Boat Insurance
Simple Green Oxy Solve Total Outdoor Cleaner
Using Simple Green on boat carpet will make it easy to get rid of heavy stains and dirt. It is equally effective on moss, mold, mildew, and algae, which makes it a great option if you need an all-around cleaner.
The main ingredient responsible for the effectiveness of this carpet cleaner is peroxide. The latter creates a fast-acting foam upon surface contact. It softens filth, making any dirt painless to remove.
If you are like me who likes using only eco-friendly products, then you have another good reason to choose this cleaner. Aside from being orally non-toxic, it also has a marine-safe formula. It is biodegradable, which lets it break down in water instead of harming aquatic life.
To add, it also meets the strict requirements of the US EPAs Safer Choice Program. This way, you can be confident that it will not destroy the environment. It has no ammonia, bleach, solvents, or other ingredients that are hazardous to wildlife and plants.
Those who are looking for an economical cleaner will love this product. It is in a one-gallon container, but after its dilution, it makes up to 21 gallons of carpet cleaner.
- Makes up to 21 gallons of cleaner
- Offers excellent value for the money
- Requires heavy scrubbing
How To Clean An Inboard Engine
To start, open up the access point for the engine room on your boat and turn off the batteries. Do a quick inspection of the engine to see if there is grease, debris, mold, standing water, or anything else within the entire engine room.
Youll need a few tools to clean the inboard engine:
Step one is to rinse off the entire engine room with water and then, using the Degreaser in a 50/50 dilution with water, spray it over everything in the engine room and take the detail brush to loosen all the grime, dirt, grease. Then, use the microfiber towels to wipe off the dirt and grime and rinse again. Repeat these steps as necessary to get out all the dirt. When you are satisfied with the cleanliness of the engine, use the shop-vac to remove sitting water.
Pro Tip: Do not get the wires in the engine room wet if you can help it. Avoid spraying them directly with water.
Next, you need to dry and protect the engine. Let the motor air-dry in the sun, or you can use a blower to get the water out. Go over everything with a dry rag to ensure the engines are as dry as possible. Now, put your 303 Protectant on a rag and rub it on all the plastic and rubber pieces, as well as wire coating and the gel coat at the bottom within the engine room.
Read Also: Boat Mildew Cleaner
Oxiclean Large Area Carpet Cleaner
Whether it is spilled wine, fish blood, or food stains, among others, this carpet cleaner will do the trick! Packed in a 64-ounce bottle, it is in a pre-mixed formula, so it is ready to use!
It contains hydrogen peroxide, which can be a potential skin and eye irritant. To add, it can be harsh on some materials, such as leather and wool. Before application, I suggest that you test in an inconspicuous area and discontinue if there is discoloration.
To make the most out of this product, you will need a carpet cleaner. The good thing is that it works in any brand or model of a carpet cleaner.
You need to vacuum thoroughly to loosen dirt on the surface, making it easier to remove. The heat from the vacuum will be beneficial in lifting dirt from the surface of the boat carpet.
I love how it leaves the surface smooth after application. Once it is dry, there is no sticky or slimy residue, making it easier to walk on the carpet, even when you are barefoot. Another notable feature of this product is its deep-cleaning action. It does not only work on the surface, but it penetrates layers of carpet materials, making it more thorough.
Despite all the good things, one drawback of this product is that it requires hard scrubbing. It is not as potent as those with more powerful formulas. In some instances, you will even need repeated application.
- Compatible with any carpet cleaning machine
- Removes food and wine stains
- Does not leave a slimy residue
- Has a deep cleaning action
Boat Carpet Cleaning Steps 101
You dont need a lot of tools but you will need elbow grease to do a weekly boat carpet cleaning maintenance. Youll need a bucket, a hose, a soft brush and your favorite gentle dish soap or simple green or another gentle waterway safe cleaner. Expensive custom cleaning products arent necessary to clean boat carpeting. Stay away from any cleaners with bleach or harsh detergents.
A good wet vac vacuum cleaner gets the sand and grit out of your dirty boat carpet before you start. A shop vac is easier because you can vacuum the dirt before you start and also remove water from your clean boat carpet at the end of the process and speed up the dry time.
If you decide to use a power washer on boat carpet know that its very risky. Be very careful to use an extremely low setting and low power if youre compelled to try this. Its hard to know ahead of time if your boat carpet, boat carpet glue, and subfloor can tolerate the pressure. So avoid a power washer except for extreme boat carpet cleaning circumstances where you have tested it out gently. Also do not take your stained boat carpet through a car wash and dont use a do-it-yourself car wash. The heat from the water and the heated nozzles can damage your marine carpet. A bucket and a garden hose is the best choice 9 times out of 10 to clean boat carpet.
You May Like: Can You Take A Boat Down The Mississippi River
Zep Oxy Carpet Cleaners
If youre looking for a product thats safe for both your carpet and the environment, then check out the Zep Advanced Oxy Carpet Cleaner.
I like that this product is formulated without bleach. It is designed to eliminate organic impurities, namely wine and juice, without the hassle of blotting or scrubbing. Just spray and the product can immediately work its odor and stain removal effects.
This is proven to work best on some fabrics and carpets. I can even testify that this worked well on an old stain on my lightweight carpet.
I was hesitant at first to use this Zep cleaner because it didnt seem like it was efficient for thoroughly cleaning my carpet. However, this changed when it managed to clean hard to remove stains as well as the foul odor that can be common with carpeted floors.
It may be a bit difficult to remove those tough stains and foul odor the first time around. However, you only need to simply spray it again with the product and it will start to dissolve like magic. Bear in mind to never soak the area with the cleaner for long as it may leave a discolored ring after it dries.
One thing I did not like with this product is that it cannot be used on more delicate surfaces and materials like leather, suede, and silk even with its no-bleach formula.
- No-bleach formula, making it multipurpose
- Doesnt require heavy scrubbing
- Incompatible for use with delicate surfaces and materials
How To Clean The Interior Of Your Boat
The interior is anywhere a passenger might openly interact with the boat while it is in use. This includes the seats, carpet, steering wheel and captains seat, storage containers, biminis, glass, doors, trash cans, built-in fridges, etc. You and your guests will have a more enjoyable experience in a clean interior boat.
When you clean the interior of your boat, here is a checklist of things to do:
Use the above checklist at least every week that you use your boat, if not more frequently. Frequent and consistent cleaning of the interior of your boat will prevent the build-up of dirt and scum, keeping your boat looking new for years to come.
There are a few tips and tricks for cleaning those materials worth mentioning for the surfaces that you are most likely to find inside a boat.
Read Also: Marine Mold Removal
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Having A Boat Carpet Cleaner
To help you make a more informed decision about whether or not you should get a boat carpet cleaner, here are some of its advantages and disadvantages. These will help you gain a clearer idea of what such a product has to offer.
- Boat carpet cleaners are specially formulated to keep your boat carpets safe, neither stripping its color nor weakening its fibers
- They can help keep your carpet looking pristine and brand-new
- They can eliminate foul odors that are common with carpets, especially boat carpets
- They make cleaning your boat carpets easier and more convenient
- Some boat carpet cleaners leave an additional layer of protection, especially against UV rays
- Many boat carpet cleaners can be used as a multi-purpose cleaner for other types of delicate surfaces
- There are carpet cleaners that are formulated to be gentle on surfaces but tough on dirt and stains
- Some boat carpet cleaners are formulated with environmentally-friendly ingredients that can reduce water pollution
- They can come either as a spot-on treatment for smaller stains or in concentrated form for wider coverage of large areas
- They can help save you on costs for the regular cleaning and maintenance of your boat carpet
Simple Green Ozy Solve Outdoor Cleaner
The beauty of this product is that boaters can use it for both manual cleaning and pressure wash cleaning.
I love the 1-gallon size it comes in, making me feel like Im getting the most out of my money. With such a vast stock, you can forget about visiting your hardware store for a long time. For buyers who only plan to simply green on boat carpet, the gallon can make up to 21 gallons of carpet cleaner to last ages after dilution.
For all those who are fans of eco-friendly products, this cleaner is non-toxic even when ingested orally, perfect for those who have kids or pets. Another fantastic thing is that it is biodegradable, so I can enjoy peace of mind knowing I am not harming any marine life when I use the cleaner. It also meets the U.S EPAs Safer Choice Program.
Aside from its eco-friendliness, the cleaner is multi-purpose. I can attach it to my pressure washer nozzle and clean concrete pathways, cars, walls, decks, and other hard surfaces. The active ingredient, peroxide, is fast-acting and can loosen filth within minutes of contact with the surface.
- Can make up to 21 gallons of cleaner when diluted
- An eco-friendly product that wont harm plants or marine life
- Biodegradable and passes U.S EPA Safer Choice Program
- A multi-purpose function which you can use for other outdoor applications
- Forumlated with a fast-acting ingredient peroxide
- Ideal for power washing and not manual cleaning
You May Like: Mold In Boat Cabin
How To Clean Your Boat Carpet
If your boat carpet is just dirty and has grime on it that is more stubborn than your parents on New Years Eve, we have a solution for one of them!
If you encounter any new fresh stains the blotting method works the best. Take dry towels and press them on the wet substance until nothing transfers onto your towel.
Then wet your towels and repeat the process as the wet water loosens the stain. Do this until the stain doesnt transfer onto your towel. Once its dried youd be left with a faint stain that you can easily clean using a spot treatment mentioned further below.
Things To Avoid When Cleaning Boat Carpet:
1. Avoid using over-the-counter cleansers to clean your boat carpet. Those almost always worsen the situation than improving it. Instead, you should use a chemical cleanser for all the tough stains that you have.
2. Dont use bleach and abrasive cleaners. Bleach will cause the carpets color to fade out and the abrasive cleaners will cause the ruin the carpet fiber.
3. Another very common mistake that a lot of boat owners do is use hot water or a hairdryer to clean the stains. That method doesnt make any sense since the professionals use a steam machine with proper commercial grade cleansers and ph. neutralizers.
4. Car wash is another method that is a very common mistake when it comes to cleaning your boat. The water pressure they use is very strong and that might cause your carpet to tear or the glue to loosen.
They also use very harsh soaps and that might harm the quality of your carpet, especially if your boat is relatively aged.
5. Dont put sand over your wet stains in order to soak up the wet substance. Sand has minuscule particles that can be very abrasive and difficult to get out.
The mistakes mentioned above might backfire or as I like to call it, Uno reverse on you, and you might end up spending some coin instead of saving it.
Recommended Reading: Mold On Boat Seats