Budget For Engine Replacements
If you plan on keeping your boat for a while, you should plan on having to repair or replace your engine at some point.; Smaller outboard engines tend to need replacement more often, but they are cheaper to replace.; Large diesel motors can last a really long time, but you may want to learn how to work on them so that you can maintain them yourself.
Selling My Boat On Craigslist
I feel its a must to address selling a boat on;Craigslist because its that one platform that everyone believes works, but also the platform everyone is the most afraid of.
Here Is The Deal:
Craigslist rings your phone!; However, it is also true that:;
- Many of those people will never ask you one question about the boat before asking for a discount first
- Many of those people will be dealers or brokers trying to pitch you their services
- Many of those people will be dealers or Flippers offering you significantly less so that they can sell your boat for their own profit.
- Many of the emails or texts you receive could be scam artists.
So, if you are in a rush you should use Craigslist!; However, be prepared for the debris thats going to come in with that flood of action your listing recieves.
Tip:; If a lot of people are calling you offering you cheap prices upfront, thats a good sign.; Those are dealers or people that flip boats on the side who think your boat is in high demand.
S Involved In Selling A Boat
Selling a boat is like selling a house but few people see it that way.
If you want buyers to drool over your vessel and start dreaming about owning it from the moment they see it, you have a lot of work to do.
Its important to have a process when selling your boat to reduce prepping time, expenses and time to close the deal. Start by determining the boats worth.
You May Like: How To Remove Mold Off Boat Seats
How To Sell Your Boat With Boatpoint
- You will be required to fill out a listing agreement Please contact us to discuss your vessel.
- We will arrange to visit your boat and take professional photographs
- We will add your boat details onto our system and send you a link to approve
- As soon as your boat goes live, it will be marketed across all Network Yacht Brokers offices and other web marketing platforms.
- We will then manage all customer enquiries, questions, and requests for information and will keep you fully informed throughout.
- We accompany all viewings and we discuss all offers for your consideration.
- All funds are placed in a secure client account.
- We handle the sale from start to finish, keeping you informed throughout the process.
- You only pay for our services if we are successful in finding a buyer. No sale, no fee!
What do we charge?
We offer competitive brokerage rates for vessels located in the UK, Europe and further afield. Please for a quotation.
Canada’s Most Visited Marine Website
- Buyers contact sellers directly.
- The most serious buyers. Get the highest price for your boat.
- For private individuals only dealers / brokers must be members.
- One-time fee for no expiry listing.
- Unlimited photos with listing.
- High traffic from major search engines such as Google, Yahoo! and Bing.
- Full description with no length restrictions.
- Listings from Canada & U.S.A.
- Update your listing at anytime.
$149.95 + Applicable Taxes– One-time payment
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Bowrider Boat To Buy
Let Boatersnet Help Sell Your Boat Or Find Your Next Boat
BoatersNet is the premiere online site to sell your boat nearly free. We offer a platform that is optimized to sell your boat and to make sure that it is easy to use and that your boat will sell fast. There are several reasons why you may need to sell your boat. If you are moving, have financial reasons, or just want to upgrade to something bigger or better â let us help you sell your boat. The reason for selling the boat isnât necessarily important, what is important is that you want the boat sold quickly. If youâve come to a point in your life where you say, âItâs time to sell my boat,â get it sold on BoatersNet.
BoatersNet also offers thousands of boats for sale. From Sailboats for sale, to fishing boats, ski boats, houseboats, pontoon boats and more we make it easy to find your boat. We have a quick search feature to find boats for sale by general categories such as price, year and manufacturer. And we also have an advanced search feature to find boats for sale by other features such as hull material, zip code search or a keyword search to find boat using a certain phrase. Let us help you find your new boat today on BoatersNet!
What Is The Best Way To Sell A Boat
The best way to sell a boat is to first;take inventory of your own knowledge and marketing skills. How much of an expert are you, or would you fare better knowing that someone with contacts, leverage, and marketing capability can swoop in and sell your boat faster? In either case, work through the boat sellers checklist below to help determine the better route.
Don’t Miss: What Is Agreed Value On Boat Insurance
List Your Boat For Sale Online
In a 2020 study, digital formats took up the majority of U.S. adults daily media consumption time, while for newspapers and magazines the average time spent was just nine and eight minutes respectively. With a decline in consumption for newspapers and magazines comes naturally less-effective classified advertisements in print to sell your boat. If you want to sell your boat quickly, safely, and for the best price, then you should sell your boat online.
Long before the world relied on Google, Boat Trader magazine was the go-to place to sell a boat. In 2008, the magazine successfully shifted from print to digital media, and today Boat Trader reaches more than 10 million visitors per month. By far the most popular websites to sell your boat range from boating-specific marketplaces like Boat Trader, boats.com, and YachtWorld, to more general marketplaces like Craigslist and eBay. We suggest casting a broad net, but also placing most of your focus on boating marketplaces!
And on Boat Traders For Sale By Owner platform, you can list your boat for sale on the website in under three minutes!
Above Video: Boat Traders Colin Voreis walks you though how to list your boat for sale in under 3 minutes on Boat Trader.
Want To Sell Your Boat
Blue Springs Marine is always looking for quality pre-owned used boats to stock our fast-moving inventory. Used boats are in high demand and values continue to stay strong. If you are looking to sell your boat or are interested in consignment, then Blue Springs Marine is your dealer of choice. If you have a well-kept boat that is no older than 2005 and not a sailboat we’d love to make you and offer to buy your boat .
You May Like: Is Banana Boat Sunscreen Good
Top Boat Photography And Selling Tip
If there is something that doesnt look good, but that you know people will see, dont run from it, in fact, highlight it.; People are skeptical of you and are trying their best to find problems:
Beat Them To it!
If the buyer finds a problem, its perceived to be that they found a reason to ask for money off .; However, if you present the issue upfront, there is more of an assumption that this issue must already be factored into your price which is exactly how you should frame it.;
This needs to be repaired which is why I am only asking X.; If were good I would be asking for more money.
Bayliner Marine Corp Vr6 Series
This cuddy cabin is approximately 22 feet long and weighs between 3,000 and 3,800, depending on the year.; It sleeps two people and can hold up to 8 passengers.; The engine is a 135 horsepower engine.
This boat was selling new for $30,670.00 in 2018.
- 3 YearsA 3-year-old model can be purchased for $26,800.00.; This is a loss of $3,870 or $1,290 a year.; It still has 87% of its value left, which is significantly higher than what we saw with the cabin cruiser.
- 5 YearsAt five years, this boat is worth about $23,050.00.; This is a dollar loss of $7,620.00 and a monthly loss of $1,524.00.; The value left at this point is still 75%.
- 10 YearsA ten-year-old model could be found at $19,395.00.; This is a total dollar loss of $11,275.00 and a loss per year of $1,128.00.; This gives it a remaining value of 63%.
This boat type seemed to retain its value much better than the previous boats we looked into.
A 4% loss to depreciation each year over 10 years isnt that bad, considering these boats have fairly large motors attached.
A cuddy cabin holds its value so well that you might consider buying a new one and selling it every three years.; In this case, youll lose 13% to depreciation, but youll have a brand new boat every three years.
If you fall in love with the boat, dont feel obligated to sell it at the three-year mark.
You can sell it at the five and ten-year mark, and you wont be any worse off than if you had done the same thing with a different type of boat.
Also Check: Does Banana Boat Deep Tanning Dry Oil Work
How To Sell A Boat On Facebook Marketplace
Facebook Marketplace has lots of things for sale, including some boats, but;it is a marketplace, meaning, it contains a hodge-podge of merchandise. It will not be the first place that potential buyers flock to, to purchase a boat. Facebook Marketplace has public listings that can be seen by just anyone on Marketplace and in the News Feed, depending on their settings.
There are many ways to try and sell a boat online, but the best way is via a broker or dealer. They have the expertise, knowledge, contacts and overall know-how to sell your boat. Browse through our;list of yacht brokers;in our broker finder here to help you find the best broker to help sell your boat.
This Is What Our Customers Say About Us
I was able to sell my Lund quickly using your website – and before I bought my new boat! Thanks, boats.com.
I was trying to get my boat sold fast, and within the first few days of listing my boat I received 3 emails from interested buyers. Sold my boat soon after.
Most of the specs for our boat were able to be pre-populated during the checkout process, so it made listing the boat fast. Weve already received 2 quality leads within the first 24 hours.
The process of uploading my boat listing to boats.com was super easy. And my boat sold for the asking price!
Recommended Reading: Is Banana Boat Sunscreen Good For Sensitive Skin
The Boston Whaler Montauk 15/cc
This boat is a fiberglass fishing boat with a center console.; It is 155 long and has a dry weight of 950 pounds.; The maximum number of passengers is six.; The standard engine for this boat is a 60 horsepower outboard motor.
Boston Whaler markets itself as a higher-end fishing boat that will retain its value for many years.; Also, If their marketing is correct, then we should notice slower depreciation with this boat.; Its also a fiberglass boat rather than aluminum, so it would be interesting to see if a fiberglass boat holds its value better than an aluminum one or vice versa.
A new one would have cost you $21,090.00.
- 3 YearsA three-year-old model is valued at $17,080.00.; This is about $4,000.00 less than a new one, so its lost about 20% of its value within the first three years.; Another way to look at it is that youve lost $1,333.00 a year for the last three years.
- 5 YearsA five-year-old model is valued at $14,860.00.; In this case, youve lost $6,230.00 over five years.; This is $1,246.00 a year and a total loss of 30% to depreciation.
- 10 YearsA ten-year-old model can be purchased for just $9,830.00.; This is an $11,260.00 loss in value or $1,126.00 a year to depreciation.; It now holds about 47% of its value.
The fiberglass held its value a little better than the aluminum boat.; However, this boat costs much more than the aluminum boat at it will probably be needing a new engine soon as well.
As far as money is invested, you might be better off getting an aluminum boat.;
Determine The Market Value Of The Boat
The biggest mistake that can make or mar the sale of your boat is to either price is too high or too low. And the reason many boaters fall into this trap is that they dont do basic market research.
Too low, you will lose money and too high you will drive prospective buyers away.
Thankfully, there is a wealth of resources online and offline to help you identify the best price for your boat.
Use the following resources when pricing your boat:
Read Also: Does Boat Insurance Cover The Motor
What Information Do I Need To List My Boat For Sale Online
That means at a minimum you should ensure there are no typos, spelling or grammatical errors. As we in the journalism business like to say, If you couldnt be bothered to spell things correctly, people are going to wonder what else you got wrong. People will stop reading a sloppy news story. With a clunky classified boat listing, they might just move on to another ad.
Provide as much detail as possible within the allotted space on the website where youre listing your boat. Use exact builder specifications for the boats dimensions, including length , beam, draft and gross weight. Provide bullet points to highlight improvements, optional upgrades and aftermarket equipmentsuch as additional seating, electronics and navigational systems. Dont forget to include model numbers and brand names for any equipment onboard as well as details on the boats electrical system. Overall, make it easy to read and digest.
Include details about every feature on your boat including upgrades and equipment.
Also, for buyer and seller peace of mind, consider a Boat History Report for your vessel. For a while, buyers purchased the reports , but now sellers are providing the reports upfront too. You can purchase a report at boathistoryreport.com, a nationwide database that details boat histories by hull identification number . The site has roughly 100 million boat registration records on file. Obtaining a boat history report as a seller is another way to ensure a quick sale of your boat!
How To Sell Your Boat
Selling a used boat? Here’s a step by step guide to make it happen quickly and easily.
If you’re reading this article, we have a pretty good idea of what you may be dealing with right now. As boat owners, we all love our boats but sometimes it’s time to let go and move on. Whether you’re buying a new boat and must first sell your old boat, or just ready to collect on your investment and take a break from the water, all of us here on the boats.com editorial staff have been there. However, the sell-my-boat process doesn’t have to be painful. This comprehensive for-sale-by-owner boat selling guide is intended to provide information to private sellers just like you to help get you through the steps.First, if you have the time take a look at our “How to sell your boat” video with Lenny Rudow for some great tips on selling your vessel.
Now that you’ve watched the video hopefully you have a good idea of the process for selling your boat. Let’s take a deeper dive into each step.
You May Like: What Size Cranking Battery For Bass Boat
How Much Should I Sell My Boat For
For most people selling a boat, the priceIsnt Right.; And what I mean by that is that they either set their price to low or too high .
What is essential when pricing anything, much less an item as expensive as a boat, is to research the heck out of it and then price it just a hair higher than you conclude.; We will get to the why in a bit.
The most obvious starting points will be public listings.; If you want to know the best places to look for boat sales try these websites first:
How To Sell A Boat Online Or In Person Without A Boat Dealer Or Yacht Broker: Eight Points To Think Through Before You Start The Process Of Selling Your Boat
There are many websites that allow you to upload images and information about your boat that you have for sale, but is it worth going this route on your own?
- Ask yourself, how much exposure will this website give me?
- How many visitors per day does this website attain?
- Is there a fee associated with posting your boat for sale?
All of these valid questions will lead you to a well-informed decision on whether you should trust your boat to a website or to a knowledgeable yacht broker or dealer that has years of experience selling boats and yachts.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Family Boat
Stingray Boat Co 250cs Gasoline Powered Engine
This cabin cruiser is 25 long and has a dry weight of 4,192 pounds.; It has a 200 horsepower engine and can sleep up to four people.; A 25 length is pretty popular with cabin cruisers, and Stingray is one of the top 50 brands listed on Nada, so its a pretty good representative of the class.
A new 250CS can be purchased for about $57,710.00.
- 3 YearsA three-year-old model can be purchased for about $38,100.00.; This is a dollar loss of $19,610.00 and a loss per year of $6,537.00.; At this point, the boat has 66% of its value left.
- 5 YearsAt 5 years, you can buy this boat for $29,500.00.; This is a $28,210.00 overall loss and a $5,642.00 loss per year.; The boat now has 51% of its value left.
- 10 YearsAt the ten-year mark, you can buy this model for $23,000.00.; This is a total dollar loss of $34,710.00 and a loss of $3,471.00 loss each year.; At this point, the value left is about 40%.; This makes holding onto this boat for ten years a much better deal than simply selling it and trading up in three or even five years.
The cabin cruiser did lose much of its value at the ten-year mark.
This is basically on par with the depreciation you might see on a motorhome or travel trailer.
A cabin cruiser is better off purchased at five years and sold at 10 years.; In this case, you take a loss of 11% depreciation rather than a loss of 14% if you had bought it at the three-year mark.
Youll get a great price on your boat, and youll still get to sleep in a brand new bed.