What Is A Hull Identification Number
The Hull Identification Number is a 12 or 14 character serial number that uniquely identifies a boat. The HIN is analogous to a VIN on a car. All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972, must bear a HIN, and this HIN must be identified during the boat registration process. Vessels manufactured or imported before 1972 are EXEMPT because they often do not have a HIN.
The HIN is found on a metal or plastic plate, typically on the transom of the boat, usually on the right starboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. On vessels without transoms, or impractical to use transoms, the HIN is usually affixed to the starboard outboard side of hull, aft, within one foot of the stern and within two inches of the top of the hull side, gunwale or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. On catamarans and pontoon boats with replaceable hulls, the HIN is usually affixed to the aft crossbeam, within one foot of the starboard hull attachment.
Boat Is Registered In Another State
From a vessel title state: Buyer should obtain a detailed bill of sale from the seller and the original out of state title showing transfer to their name, and the original state registration card if available. All transfers of ownership must be on the title.
From a non-title state: Buyer should obtain a detailed bill of sale from the seller and the original state registration card. The seller should be the owner if record in that state, and if not bills of sale back to the owner of record must be submitted.
All are Title States/Territories except those below.
Non-Title States and Territories :
Applying For Vessel Title For In
A vessel not exempt from titling must be titled at the same time it is registered. To issue a Florida Certificate of Title for a new or used vessel purchased in or outside of Florida, the owner of the vessel must bring the appropriate titling fee and the following documents into a tax collector or license plate agent office:
New vessel Manufacturers Certificate of Origin or its equivalent statement of builder, or if the vessel is purchased in a state that does not require an MCO, the proof of ownership is an executed dealers bill of sale. The proof of ownership must include a complete description of the vessel, including manufacturers name, year, type, hull material, propulsion, fuel, use of vessel, hull identification number and length.
Used vessel currently titled in FL Florida title accurately completed for transfer to purchaser.
Used vessel currently titled out of state Out-of-state title accurately completed for transfer to purchaser.
Used vessel from a state that does not require title Current registration from that state and a bill of sale from the current registrant. Bill of sale must include complete description of the vessel including manufacturers name, year, type, hull material, propulsion, fuel, use of vessel, hull identification number and length.
Don’t Miss: What Does It Cost To Join Freedom Boat Club
Exemptions From Boat Registration And Titling In Alabama
Boats that do not require registration and titling in Alabama vary according to the type of boat and its use. No title is required for any boat owned in Alabama, and some vessels are also exempt from registration. If you are wondering which boats are exempt from registration in Alabama, consult the following list. Common exemptions include:
- Vessels operating under a valid temporary certificate of number.
- A vessel bearing a legally-issued number from another state, as long as it has not been in Alabama for more than 90 consecutive days.
- Vessels under registration from another country that are temporarily using Alabama waters.
- Vessels owned by the United States, or a state, county or municipality.
- A ships lifeboat.
In addition, all vehicles not propelled by machinery, such as sailboats, are exempt from boat registration in Alabama as long as they are for private use and not for rent or hire.
The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Alea Boat Registration Application Provides Individuals Businesses And The State Of Alabama Probate Offices Online Access To Register Renew Transfer And Update Registrations For Pleasure Boats In The State Of Alabama
Online and using the boat registration renewal system. Upon completion of your renewals, your registration decal will be mailed to you and should arrive within 7 business days of your transaction. The previous registration and/or title. In addition, all other motor vehicle title, registration, ifta and irp transactions must be submitted electronically. Bill of sale that includes: This is to ensure that boats are being operated legally and responsibly in alabama’s waters. A new alabama registration number will be issued. All mechanically propelled boats are required to be registered. Any boat operator who was born prior to april 28, 1954 note: The data is maintained as an open wiki forum where readers are encouraged to participate by sharing knowledge and experiences with this particular state. Bill of sale must include, hull number, year, make, model, length, al #’s, make of motor, hp of motor and motor serial number. State law does not allow for prorating of the class fees above on a monthly basis. Coast guard are required to register with the state.
$100.00 . I) boat alabama classroom course ii) state approved online boating course: A new alabama registration number will be issued. Current driver’s license or id Alabama registers all mechanically propelled vessels, sailboats, and boats for hire.
The data is maintained as an open wiki forum where readers are encouraged to participate by sharing knowledge and experiences with this particular state.
Recommended Reading: How To Sell Boat With Lien On It
Boat Registration Number And Decal Placement:
- The registration number must be painted, applied as a decal or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow.
- The number MUST be placed where it can be easily read.
- No other numbers may be displayed in this area.
- The registration number must be at least 3 inches high and in block letters of a color that contrasts with the color of the boat.
- The numbers must be read from left to right .
- The letters of the registration number must be separated from the numbers by a hyphen or by an equivalent space.
- The validation decals must be affixed on each side of the boat, in line with the registration number and within 6 inches fore or aft of the number.
What Is The Process For Registering My Boat
To Register a new boat or a boat that has been registered in another state and brought into Alabama for registration, an Application for Boat Registration, Transfer and Replacementmust be completed. Your out-of-state registration, if available, must be presented with the application.
To transfer a vessel without current registration into a new owner’s name and renew registration, an Application for Boat Registration, Transfer and Replacement must be completed. Sales tax will also be collected if applicable.
Also Check: How To Remove Mold Off Boat Seats
Renewing Your Alabama Boat Registration
You may obtain an Alabama boat registration renewal by mail, in person or online. Before its time to renew your registration, you should receive a printed notice that tells you when you need to renew your registration well before the current registration expiration date. This written notice will include instructions and additional information needed to complete the renewal process, such as the mailing address for renewals.
When renewing in person, bring your renewal notice, previous registration receipt and a valid AL driver license or other photo ID to your local probate judges office. To renew boat registration online, follow the link provided on your renewal notice.
Displaying The Registration Number And Validation Decals
The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow and placed where it can be easily read.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters .
- Number’s color must sharply contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen: AL 3717 ZW or AL-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
Personal watercraft also are required to display the registration number and validation decals.
Read Also: Does Geico Do Boat Insurance
Al Boat Registration Exemptions
The Alabama Marine Patrol Division does not require boat registration for a vessel:
- With valid temporary certificates of number.
- Currently registered in another state, as long as the vessel won’t be in AL for more than 90 consecutive days.
- Registered in another country, temporarily operating in Alabama.
- Owned by a government entity .
- That is a ship’s lifeboat.
- Not propelled by machinery .
- Documented as commercialwith the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Boats documented for pleasure will need to be registered.
Additionally, Alabama does not require you to register boat trailers.
Alabama Online Boat Registration
Alabama Online Boat Registration. The fee for using this service is 3%, with a minimum fee of $3.50. Boating course certificates or motorboat operator’s license must be presented to the license examiner at the time of making an application.
Where can i renew my boat registration. A duplicate decal or boat certificate may be issued. Completed application for boat registration. Upon completion of your renewals, your registration decal will be mailed to you and should arrive within 7 business days of your transaction. This is to ensure that boats are being operated legally and responsibly in alabama’s waters.
Read Also: What Size Boat Should I Get
Applying For Vessel Registration
Applications for vessel registration are to be filed with the county tax collector or license plate agent. When applying for registration, the owner must establish proof of ownership by submitting an executed bill of sale, a builders contract, a manufacturers statement of origin, a federal marine document or another document acceptable to the FLHSMV. If the vessel is required to be titled, the title must be issued prior to the issuance of the registration.
Boating Under The Influence Rules In Alabama
A 0.8% or more blood alcohol content with a boater is considered to be under the influence of alcohol. The same under the influence rule applies to:
- A boater under the influence of any controlled substance
- Under the influence of any combination of any controlled substances and alcohol
- Any form of substance that physically or mentally impairs the normal functioning of a person
A period of 90-days revocation of your boat operating privileges is imposed if youre found to BUI while operating your vessel. The possibility of paying a stiff fine of $2,100 or imprisonment for a year can also be imposed.
A second BUI offense will revoke your operating privileges for a year. The fine is steeper at $5,100, along with possible imprisonment for a year or 30 days of community service at the minimum.
A third conviction for BUI will revoke your operating privileges for three years. You also can get a fine of up to $10,100. An imprisonment sentence for a year or a maximum of 60 days of community service is a possibility as well.
You May Like: How To Register Homemade Boat
How Do I Get A Hull Identification Number
- Boat owners should use every effort to determine if a boat has an existing HIN or resolve problems with a HIN for use in the registration process.
- A HIN is required for boats manufactured after November 1, 1972. If the HIN is unavailable and unknown, the boat owner must first contact the boat manufacturer to obtain a replacement HIN .
- If the HIN is known but the plate is missing or the HIN not inscribed on the boat, the boat owner is responsible for permanently affixing the HIN to the boat.
- If the HIN is an improper format, the applicant will be asked to electronically upload or send a picture or pencil tracing of the HIN to DNR for verification and further instruction.
- If the manufacturer is out of business or will not assist the boat owner, a DNR HIN Inspection is necessary. DNR will assign a HIN number after the inspection process and the boat owner is responsible for permanently affixing the HIN to the boat. Information on arranging an inspection can be found at .
Cost Of Registering A Boat In Alabama
Receiving a decal or certificate means youve successfully registered your boat.
The AL letters precede the permanent registration number located on the certificates right-hand side. Both sides of the bow of the registered boat must show this number. The number should be positioned in such a way that it is seen clearly at all times.
The number must show:
- Left to right read. For instance, AL-4567-BX or AL 4567 BX
- Not less than 3 inches high BLOCK characters that contrast with the boats background color
- A hyphen or space to separate the letters from the numbers
Each side of the boat bow must display the validation decal. The decal must be within 6 inches after or before but must line up with the registration numbers.
Properly documenting and marking the boat is the responsibility of every boat owner. A responsible boat owner should also keep the papers in a waterproof case on board the boat at all times.
|Boat to Be Registered|
|$50.00 + Issuance fee of $1.00|
|Dealer Class V||Initial $26.00, every additional dealer tag for $4.00|
Boat Transfer of Ownership applies to boats that need to be transferred to a new owners name but has current registration for the year sold: $1.00 + Issuance fee of $0.25.
Renewal/Transfer if theres no current registration to the boat, transferring the boat to the new owners name needs to pay the designated class fee: $1.00 + Issuance fee of $0.25.
See the below video for an easy online way to get a license:
Also Check: What Removes Mildew From Boat Seats
Other Laws Regarding Alabamas Nuisance Species
In addition to registering your boat and following all other laws such as proper life jacket and PFD laws, I want to also just mention another requirement that you may not be aware of.
Alabama waters are experiencing the invasion of non-indigenous aquatic animals, species, fish, and plants. Some of the nuisance species that have been transported accidentally by recreational boaters include:
- Water hyacinth
- Zebra mussels
- Egeria densa
These species are inadvertently transported to Alabama waters from other sites by attaching to hulls, propellers, or intakes. Introducing these non-indigenous pests can rapidly multiply to clog up waterways, displace native species, and impact recreation and navigation. They are also almost impossible to eradicate.
The following actions to help prevent the introduction of these pests to Alabama waters include:
- Inspecting the boat and disposing of any aquatic plants or animals before leaving a body of water.
- Clean sea strainers and flush raw-water cooling systems before the boat are moved from one body of water to another.
- Remove any plant fragments from props, fishing gear, dive gear, trailers, and bait wells. Bait buckets should also be emptied.
- Dispose of everything on a land garbage disposal.
- Drain all water from the boats live wells, bilge, and motor.
- Giving the boat a good wash before using it into a new body of water.
- Report any observed new infestation of non-indigenous aquatic species to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
There Is An Additional $2 Issuance Fee
Alabama registration number al ¯¯¯¯ make and model of boat year built hull identification no. The processing charge is not paid to baldwin county but to ingenuity, inc. The previous registration and/or title. I) boat alabama classroom course ii) state approved online boating course: What do i need to bring to register a vessel purchased from an individual in alabama ? Request certified copy of registration certificate. All limestone county boat owners may register, renew or transfer ownership at our office. You may register your boat online by following the link below The data is maintained as an open wiki forum where readers are encouraged to participate by sharing knowledge and experiences with this particular state. Renew your alabama boat registration by going: Boating course certificates or motorboat operator’s license must be presented to the license examiner at the time of making an application. Registering your boat is an important step in boat ownership. Less than 26 ft $ 25.00 fee.
$100.00 . Boats newer than 1972 must have a 12 digit hull number. State law does not allow for prorating of the class fees above on a monthly basis. Renew your alabama boat registration online here! Boat registration requirements for new residents:
Recommended Reading: What Boat Battery Do I Need
Regulations And Laws For Personal Watercraft
The same laws apply to personal watercraft despite their small size. This means that the same regulations and rules are required for PWC operators as that of any powerboat operator. This includes carrying a B-1 fire extinguisher on board at all times as well as registering the boat.
The specific PWC requirements in Alabama include:
- The PWC operator and all passengers must wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved PFD at all times.
- Rearview mirrors on both sides must be included in the watercraft if people are to be towed behind. Both mirrors must be 4 inches wide and 2.5 high to achieve a total of 20 inches minimum viewing area.
- Required lights must be fitted to enable PWCs to operate between the hours of sunrise to sunset.
The following video is older but the Alabama boating laws mentioned within still apply:
Alabama Boat Registration Display Laws And Decal Requirements
Alabama Boat Registration Displaying is easy. When you successfully register your vessel, youll receive a certificateand a decal. See Image.
Your permanent registration number appears on the right-hand side ofthe certificate preceded by the letters AL. This number must be placedon each side of the bow of the registered vessel in a position that isclearly visible at all times. The number must also be: BLOCK characters, no less than three inches high and contrastingwith the background color of your boat Separated by letters with space or a hyphen and Read from left to right For example AL 3214 BA or AL-3214-BA.The validation decal must be displayed within 6 inches before or afterand in line with the registration numbers on both sides of the boats bow.Its your responsibility to make sure your boat is properly marked anddocumented. Its also a good idea to always keep your papers withthe boat, in a waterproof case for safekeeping.
Also Check: How Long Are Boat Loans Usually